|Ethics and College Student Life||
Ethics and College Student Life
|69.90||ca. 7-9 Tage|
A core text for courses in Freshman Orientation, College Ethics and Critical Thinking; a supplementary text for courses in Introduction to Ethics, and Expository Writing.
Using engaging case studies of ethical dilemmas commonly facing college students, this text gives students hands-on opportunities to apply critical thinking and a problem-solving approach to areas of life that matter to them. Topics covered include relationships, cheating, drinking, privacy, diversity, computer issues, sex, college sports, abuse, responsibility, and plagiarism. The text shows how five important ethical principles can be used to think through morally complex situations and settle disputes. It teaches reasoning and dialoguing skills that students can use productively in every every area of their college experience, and addresses topics that are essential to building personal character, healthy college communities, and a strong society.
Rewritten and reorganized Introduction and case discussions make this edition appropriate for less sophisticated students as well as honors students.
Can be used in many different ways to give students hands-on opportunities for ethical problem-solving.
Covers all important topics, not just “safe” ones.
Brings thought-provoking ethical issues to the surface. Instructors can choose case studies relating to a particular theme or topic, cover one or two cases in each of the major issue areas, or work through the complete range available in the book, as time or their needs dictate.
Encourages students to think for themselves as they follow the discussion and stimulates further dialogue between students, instructors, and peers-both inside and outside the classroom.
Helps students consider other people's perspective.
Encourages further dialogue between students on the finer points of each chapter topic.
The topics covered are all highly relevant and interesting for college students. Instructors can use the index to choose case studies relating to a particular theme or topic, or cover one or two cases in each of the chapters, or work through the complete range available in the book, as time and needs dictate.
Instructors can have students do comparisons with their own institution's regulations, study the range of college policies in a certain area, or use the codes to discuss legal ramifications of ethical issues.
The discussions demonstrate how to identify issues in a case and how to apply ethical principles to work out solutions, the same tasks students are asked to perform on the shorter additional cases throughout the book. Many open-ended questions encourage students to think for themselves as they follow the discussion.
Offers instructors suggestions for furthering students' (or their own) understanding of various aspects of the chapter topic, and provide sources for some of the chapter's real-life cases.
Instructors can use them for additonal assignments, and students can use them to do research and develop their own case studies.
Allows instructors and students to quickly find cases on specific topics or for particular student groups.
TECHNOLOGY AND PEARSON CHOICES
MyStudentSuccessLab 3.0 (www.mystudentsuccesslab.com) is an online solution designed to help students 'Start strong, Finish stronger' by building skills for ongoing personal and professional development. This TOPICAL based technology promotes student engagement through:
· Video interviews on key issues 'by students, for students'.
· The Learning Path Diagnostic offers 65 Full Course Pre-Diagnostic (Bloom's Taxonomy level 1-2) and 65 Full Course Post-Diagnostic Bloom's Taxonomy level 3-4)questions, and 20 pre-test (Bloom's Taxonomy level 1-2) and 20 post-test (Bloom's Taxonomy level 3-4) questions.
· ThePractice exercises improve class preparation and learning.
· Graded Activities build critical thinking skills and develop problem-solving abilities (includes Essays and Journaling).
· Instructors benefit from an Implementation Guide to easily assign and assess progress.
· Students have access to relevant FinishStronger247 YouTube videos, the Pearson student Facebook page chock full of tips, MySearchLab use for doing effective research, and more.
PearsonChoices - CourseSmart and Custom Publishing. Having choices for how to deliver course content is important.
· CourseSmart Textbooks Online is an exciting new choice for students looking to save money. As an alternative to purchasing the print textbook, students can subscribe to the same content online and save up to 50% off the suggested list price of the print text. With a CourseSmart e-textbook, students can search the text, make notes online, print out reading assignments that incorporate lecture notes, and bookmark important passages for later review. For more information, or to subscribe, visit www.coursesmart.com.
· Pearson Custom Publishing allows professors to create their own professionally produced customized textbooks and media products to best complement their course. We offer high-quality content, professional design, quick production, and reliable on-time delivery. The result is a valuable textbook that students will use, cover to cover, tailored to meet exactly the needs of the professor, students, and course. Visit www.pearsoncustom.com.
2. Academic Integrity, Grading, and Cheating
3. Tolerance, Diversity, and Hate Speech
4. Privacy and Dialogue
5. Loyalty, Friendship, and Community
6. Sex, Relationships, and Power
7. Drinking and Living the Good Life
8. On Getting a Life
9. Religion, Relativism, and Dialogue
10. For Further Reflection: Additional Cases
Ethics and College Student Life: A Case Study Approach, Third edition
Kenneth A. Strike & Pamela A. Moss
Ethics and College Student Life: A Case Study Approach shows how five important ethical principles can help us think through morally complex situations and settle disputes. Engaging case studies of common ethical dilemmas provide students with hands-on opportunities to apply critical-thinking and problem-solving approaches.
The text presents reasoning and dialoguing skills that students can use in every area of their college experience, as well as tips on building personal character, healthy college communities, and a strong society.
For instructors and students alike, we encourage you to visit our Student Success Supersite. This valuable resource is at www.prenhall.com/success
"The case studies are effective, easy to read, and cover a wide range of topics with which college students grapple. Students get to practice theory with real life examples."
-- Kathryn Jarvis, Auburn University