Were you looking for the book with access to MasteringGeography? This product is the book alone and does NOT come with access to MasteringGeography. Buy the book and access card package to save money on this resource.
This contemporary approach to World Regional Geography introduces the latest ideas, concepts, and theories in geography while also developing a strong foundation in the fundamentals of world regions. It helps professors convey a strong sense of place and an understanding of the connections within and between world regions. Globalization and Diversity is a briefer version of the popular Diversity Amid Globalization by the same authors; this distillation focuses on the core materials that students need in a World Regional Geography course. The Fourth Edition features a new and unique focus on sustainability.
- An emphasis on globalization acknowledges the geographic changes that accompany today's rapid rate of globalization. The book's unique approach gives students access to the latest ideas, concepts and theories in geography while also developing a strong foundation in the fundamentals of world regions. The book helps professors convey a strong sense of place and an understanding of the connections within and between world regions.
- The structure within each chapter is thematic, while the overarching chapter structure of the book is regional and organized around the generally accepted major world regions.
- Each regional chapter is organized into five thematic sections: Environmental Geography, Population and Settlement, Cultural Coherence and Diversity, Geopolitical Framework, and Economic and Social Development.
- This approach fosters a structured and penetrating treatment of geographic themes and concepts, facilitates comparisons of specific topics between regions, and allows the authors to more effectively highlight concepts important to today's globalized world.
- Chapter openers include a panoramic photo linked to major topics within the chapter. Each regional chapter opens with thematic highlights that summarize the major issues under each of the five themes.
- A highly graphical presentation of the material includes a large-format map or photo on almost every page.
- Coverage of climate change impacts on each region.
- A superior, pedagogically-oriented cartography program features standardized maps for all regional chapters. Regional chapter contain approximately 12 maps, with almost all regional chapters containing maps on the same themes to enable cross regional comparisons. Most regional chapters contain the following maps:
- A chapter-opening political/physical map, showing political boundaries, landforms, hydrology, and tectonic boundaries.
- A climate map, with climographs displaying temperature and precipitation data for specific cities.
- An environmental issues map with call-outs to environmental problems and solutions within the region.
- A population map for the region leveraging the latest world population data.
- A map of regional languages.
- A map of religions.
- A geopolitical map of current issues and tensions.
This system allows students to compare and contrast concepts and data both within and between regions. Additionally, this system reinforces the book's emphasis on the global effect on local issues.
- Exploring Global Connections case studies illustrate the interconnections between regions in today’s globalized world.
- End-of-chapter bulleted summaries give students an overview of the chapter content by looking first at the thematic highlights and then at the chapter summary.
- End-of-chapter Thinking Geographically questions are associated with each theme/section, helping students to apply and synthesize their understanding, and providing opportunities for critical thinking and collaborative learning.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Working Towards Sustainability features in each regional chapter show how sustainability initiatives apply to people, groups, and settlements across world regions. This feature:
- shows the diverse application of this increasingly important interdisciplinary concept in different places and at different scales
- highlights positive environmental and social initiatives and outcomes (and, in some cases, the use of related Geographic Tools)
- includes a graphical element of a map and/or photo.
- NEW! Paired population pyramids in each regional chapter contrast subregions and settlements within the region, comparing either change over time (historic or forecasted change) or current population trends.
- NEW! Chapter-opening vignettes convey a sense of place (a village, a town, a neighborhood in a large city, etc) for each region, linked to the chapter-opening photos.
- Additional physical geography coverage incorporates key content into Chapter 2 (e.g. plate tectonics, natural hazards) and regional chapters.
- New and updated cartography:
- features new data from sources like the 2010 U.S. Census and the 2012 Population Reference Bureau World Population Data Sheet, embodies best mapping practices, and portrays various events that have occurred since the previous edition
- updated data and stronger consistency in the types of issues within the Environmental Issues maps for each region.
- Amplified globalization focus continues the book’s popular hallmark theme of globalization with updated Exploring Global Connections features, highlighting recent events and offering more coverage of cultural and environmental topics.
- Expanded coverage of gender issues, food, art, music, film, and sport, making these interesting and popular cultural topics more consistent and visible in each regional chapter.
- NEW! Quick Response Codes at the end of chapter enable students to link with smartphones and other mobile devices to the authors’ blogs as a dynamic way to provide content updates.
- Updated data incorporate the latest science and statistics and associated imagery, including data from the 2010 Census and the 2012 PRB Population Data.
- NEW! Learning Outcomes integrate region-specific learning outcomes into the chapter-opening pages, which connect to Review Questions and assessments in MasteringGeography.
- NEW! Review Questions are added at the end of each thematic section to help students check their comprehension as they read through the chapter sections.
- A stronger focus on fundamentals and tools of the trade integrates more discrete basic geography information in Chapter 1, including map reading and modern geospatial tools.
Table of Contents
1. Concepts of World Geography
2. The Global Physical Environment
3. North America
4. Latin America
5. The Caribbean
6. Sub-Saharan Africa
7. Southwest Asia and North Africa
9. The Russian Domain
10. Central Asia
11. East Asia
12. South Asia
13. Southeast Asia
14. Australia and Oceania