- Appropriate for courses in Hospitality Management, Hospitality Studies, Food Service Management, Travel & Tourism, and Business Administration.
- Approaching Hospitality Human Resources Management from the perspective of the global economy, this book reaches beyond the individual hospitality manager's day-to-day operations to examine the hospitality industry in the context of increased competition.
- Addresses a wide audience, including students with no prior exposure to HRM, current HRM practitioners who want to put their experiences within an academic framework, and all managers responsible for developing competent employees. Pg.___
- Explores the relationship between managing human resources and providing quality services and products to guests and customers. Pg.___
- Recognizes the dynamics of HRM in the context of increased competition in today's global economy. Pg.___
- Considers both the “soft skills” involved in counseling and interpersonal relations, as well as the “hard skills” involved in the legislative and technical aspects of managing people. Pg.___
- Structures content in logically sequenced, yet totally self-contained chapters to allow for course customization. Pg.___
- Opens coverage by introducing the basics of HRM, developing a firm foundation for further learning. Pg.___
- Examines the functions usually classified as HRM work in the hospitality setting. Pg.___
- Discusses employee relations-an area of critical importance to successful management of people in the hospitality industry. Pg.___
- Explores the components of career development. Pg.___
- Demonstrates how to create a safe working environment in an industry fraught with hazards. Pg.___
- Discusses how the HR department can evaluate the contributions it makes to the organization and to individual operation. Pg.___
- Covers cost control and contribution of the HRM function to productivity and efficiency. Pg.___
- Treats technology and transitional situations in the context of the hospitality industry. Pg.___
- Considers where the hospitality industry fits in the international arena. Pg.___
- Emphasizes practical applications to the workplace. Pg.___
- Compares and contrasts HRM practices in various hospitality operations and non-domestic operations. Pg.___
- Features a comprehensive discussion of current trends within each chapter. Pg.___
- Focuses on critical-thinking skills. Pg.___
Table of Contents
1. The Human Resources Department.
2. Human Resources Management Challenges.
3. The Legislative Environment.
4. Staffing and the Strategic Human Resources Plan.
7. Wage and Salary.
10. Coaching, Counseling, and Discipline.
11. Labor Relations.
14. Career Development.
15. Performance Appraisal and Performance Management.
16. Safety and Health.
17. Human Resource Audits.
18. The Human Resources Department's Contribution to Cost Control.
19. Computers and the Human Resources Management Function.
20. Human Resources Management in Transitional Situations.
21. Human Resources Management in a Global Environment.